Monday, February 27, 2006

Kick me in the head


On losing my lover.


I have been grieving too long, losing my loved one has emptied me.

Raking leaves, the same autumn he left me, my hands are busy, action is enemy of thought- I stared off into space, lost in sadness. My daughter, working quietly beside me, looked at my face and asked me “What are you doing?” “I guess I’m feeling sad,” I told her- She shook her head and carried on working. “Just rake the leaves”, she said. Now I look at my hands daily and ask myself “What are you doing?” “I’m washing dishes” “What are you doing?” “I’m typing” What are you doing?” “I’m raking leaves- leaving sadness behind me”.


I have been taking antidepressants, I've been exercising, making new friends, accepting invitations. I've been writing, painting, dancing- Like an objective observer, I see myself doing all the right things to get over my depression, my grief. I still have this sadness, and I am looking for a cathartic experience, a trip to help me leave this weighty pain in the past.

I need a catharsis, some big shake up,
a roller coaster ride. I need to remember what a rush of joy feels like.
I'm trying to kill this lowgrade sadness that grinds me down daily. I am grieving- there is nothing noble, or romantic about being haunted daily by grief. Queen Victoria plunged a nation into depression and repression for decades with noble and romantic melancholy.

I need a jolt-jumpstart, like the jolt coursing from the paddles to the corpse, I need an electrical shock to my psychic circuits. I believe in electricity but I find faith in God is beyond me. I do have faith that electricity courses though I can't see it, and it lights my lamp. I need to feel a surge of power.

I want to cut out the dead wood. Gardening metaphors come easily to me here, as I am prayerful only in the way I tend my garden. I separate bulbs, and thin out new plants to make room for fresh growth. My garden is contained lightly by stone walls- Even in the presence of the restricting fence, the garden flows under around through any fence-the laws of the fence are weaker than the gentle swell of a garden. That mirrors my spiritual beliefs, although "spiritual" is an inadequate word to an atheist. The fences are religion, the garden is life force- the electrical hum of the universe unfolding as it should.


I want to leap from a plane, feeling that rush of the free fall, metaphorically and literally. I think the fear and the exhilaration of skydiving will be a way for me to leave that sadness behind me, like shedding the old skin. Leaving the old shell for new digs.

I want to make a bonfire of all my old habits that allow this sadness to remain fostered in some quiet part of me, that part that draws strength from my sadness, my muse. I want to burn the photos and letters and whatever will feed the fire, I want to sweat it out. All the sadness and grief and hurt. I want to burn every last wish I have for any of the things that would allow this ache to grow. I want to come through the cleansing fire, and emerge, shiny as a steel blade, tempered, stronger.

I need Catharsis

Maybe I need some of this:
www.outwardbound.ca

2 Comments:

At 7:36 AM, Blogger Captain Guyliner said...

Your post seems to speak of a desire for some action or experience that can absolve you of your grief. With respect, I don't suppose there is any amount of "cleansing" that can remove the residue of a life well lived and loved.

If you'll forgive the crude analogy, I know there are certain types of cast iron pans that the world's finest chefs refuse to clean in an attempt to infuse every dish with the rich flavours of the past.

I think you'll find much more catharsis the acceptance of the chef's approach than any affirmative endeavour to "carve out", "burn", or "shed" your grief. After all, one doesn't grow stronger by casting aside a burden but by learning to carry it forward.

 
At 9:57 AM, Blogger inhouse said...

Thanks Mike, that was the kind of gentle metaphoric kick in the head I'm after. Your very thoughtful and not at all crude analogy hit home, thanks for the insight.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home